Friday 20 July 2007

What’s your speciality?

These words I gathered on a visit to Bolton last week. He was talking about what we should look for within ourselves and others.

Well the title makes it more or less obvious that we’re looking at what our specialities are. Everyone has one and it’s about discovering what these are and utilising them in a manner which will be beneficial to others.

Look at Khalid bin Al-Waleed (Radiallahuanhu), a great companion of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) who led the muslims to so many magnificent victories. Khalid bin Al-Waleed was one of the greatest generals in history, and one of the greatest heroes of Islam. Besides him, Genghis Khan was the only other general to remain undefeated in his entire military life. A measure of Khalid's genius is that he was the only person to inflict a (temporary) defeat on the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

Now there was another Sahabi (Companion of the Prophet) who had never picked up a sword in his life nor partook in any battle. But in the battle of Uhud when the muslims were running away after losing their strategic position, he stood there reciting poetry, encouraging them back into battle.

Later, when the Prophet (Peace be upon him) heard of this, he asked this Aahabi to ascend the mimbar (pulpit) and recite his poetry. He replied, “Me and speak on your mimbar, O Prophet of Allah? I could never do that.”

He (Peace be upon him) replied, “O so and so, it is Allah who wants to hear the poetry you recited!”

So let us take these two very different people and learn a lesson from the contributions they made to Islam and society. Now it is time for us to find our own specialities and to put them to use in a positive manner.

I’m still looking for mine but I’m thinking at the moment it may be through my writing.

One last thing which is perhaps most important, NEVER write anyone off as useless. Like I said, everyone has their own speciality and you shouldn’t insult people but help them find their talents and nurture them so that they can benefit everyone.

1 comment:

Scarlet Cloak said...

Assalamu alaykum,

Wow, subhanaAllah. Yah, a person can truly make a difference in the world! I think that we have many specialties, Musaafir, and that we can use each and every one of those to benefit mankind in some way, shape or form.

For instance, you could be great at writing, and also great in science and math. You can use these two wonderful qualities to give much to society and in turn, make a significant difference in society and even to a greater level beyond where you are. Especially in this age, where there are really no bounds in communication; we have the internet as an agent...

Since I was a kid, I was always interested in psychology and I tend to attract those who seek help in matters of life. I really wish to earn a degree in that field inshaAllah and I'm working towards it. Although my parents would love for me to be in the medical field and my brother makes fun of what I love--dismissing it as unimportant, I think that doing what you really love can make you a pioneer in your field or at least innovative in it.

There must be some sort of drive that pushes you to do what you really want. Lets say I was good in biology but had no inclination. Eventhough I would be good at it, I might end up regretting it much and find all these years unfulfilling...So here are my 2 pence :P

May Allah bless you and guide you to the best in this world and the next...

Looking forward to more enlightening and spiritually uplifting blog entries inshaAllah

~Scarlet Cloak